pfSense

I read a large part of the feature list. This part made me sad.

Limitations

  • Only works on primary WAN interface – multi-WAN support is available in 2.0.
  • Can only update one account with a single provider. 2.0 enables the use of unlimited accounts.
  • Only works when pfSense has the public IP assigned to one of its interfaces. If you have a modem that obtains your public IP and gives pfSense a private IP, the private IP will be registered with the provider. In 2.0, there is an option to determine your actual public IP and correctly register it.

Given that I do have a modem that assigns a private IP to whatever is connected to it, I’ll either have to use the unstable version if this stuff has already been added, or just stick with what I’m already using, which is really messy and involves duplicate python scripts in cron. If I get the time and will to do so I might hack the script apart so I only need to run it once and it searches the router more efficiently, but… EDIT: D’oh. I can set the script to check multiple domains. I now only run one instance of the thing.

Server Move Complete!

The server has now been moved to the Pentium 4 box! It was a surprisingly easy move. All passwords and data should be preserved. Let me know if there are problems, all the data remains on the former server as well.

RSA key fingerprint is now:

3f:04:a3:9e:d5:c2:77:9a:f1:ef:56:43:6c:4c:b2:ed

I tar’d up my main web directory, tar’d one other person’s stuff, and just moved another’s one at a time. (Only 2 files, so…) Moving them over network was okay, although maybe not as fast as I might have hoped – going from the P3 to the P4 was about 6.5MB/s. Tar preserved the permissions. Then I moved over the MySQL databases using PhpMyAdmin. I needed to move the MySQL users too, so I exported the users table of the database “MySQL” and restored the lines I needed. I hope I got the system user passwords moved successfully as well – I recreated the users, then moved the /etc/shadow lines for each user from the P3 to P4 box.

Alarm

I found out that my Fluxbuntu-Gutsy-powered box with 256MB of RAM had to use swap to play a sound file. This was upsetting. I uninstalled Xorg and Fluxbox and slim, (login manager) but couldn’t figure out how to add virtual consoles, which Fluxbuntu sadly seemed to lack. I somehow failed to install the standard C++ libraries, (I was too fed up to try to fix it at that point) and just installed Debian Etch. I installed BOINC and ALSA from repos, along with libasound2-dev (needed to compile Mplayer to use ALSA) and was pleased to find I could now run Seti@home, transfer files in over sftp, and play an audio file all within 256MB. (With around 4MB to spare.) Hooray!

Hooray!

Grandma’s machine is working now. I went out to Discount PC Outlet and got, literally, a $10 used (Creative Soundblaster Live!) sound card. I popped in the new card, disabled the onboard one in BIOS, and the card worked flawlessly on boot. I literally didn’t have to do a thing. I have the thing hardened thanks to Firestarter. Nmap just looks at it and shrugs. Compare this to a firewalled (the built in one :\ ) Windows machine where Nmap finds two open ports lists at 100% certainty that the machine is running XP SP2, which is correct.

I also learned something accidentally today, which is sometimes the very best way to learn. I had forgotten to plug the speakers back into the alarm, yet it got me up anyway. I was confused, and told the alarm to play music again only to discover it had an internal speaker! o_O You learn something every day, I guess.

Well This is Upsetting

I got Ubuntu to install. I set the BIOS to use AHCI, and added pci=nomsi to the end of the command line, and it worked, albiet somewhat slowly. Point is it’s installed now. The next problem in this seemingly unending road of setbacks is that although the sound works, it’s glitchy. It stutters. It’s not the speakers, I’ve tried both speakers, and headphones. I guess hopefully I can get this sorted out, and if not, we’re a $10 sound card away from getting it working, anyway.

ARGH!

Turns out the motherboard I’m using is horribly supported by the kernel that the 8.04 LiveCD runs. It’s a struggle to get it to see SATA drives, and even then after it installs, which I’ve gotten it to do once, it just sits there blinking a cursor and doing nothing. Hopefully I can get 2.6.25 kernel on there somehow. If it’s able to get the LAN working, which according to threads I’m reading it’s not, I can upgrade the kernel in the installation process. I’ll post more as I find out more. I’m currently looking at this and this. Asus’ EZ Flash or whatever is nice though – you can just stick a BIOS update on flash drive, then hit Alt-F2 while booting (or pull it up through the BIOS setup menu) and you can select the update and it’ll eat it.